Week 8:Stereotypes

I see stereotypes all the time, in the books, movies, comics, shows, in real life, and I have always felt they were super negative. I did think it was interesting that they can play an important role is how we perceive people or things, and we have this mental image of how something looks because of these stereotypes. When reading about "Toxic Masculinity" by Luke Humphris, I really liked the meaning it had even though it was very short. I knew already that men do have this feeling of having to be masculine but I didn't know to what extent. I felt sad reading how the author felt all his life that he was never able to cry and had to hold everything in. Seeing that his own brother took his life due to this feeling of having to be masculine made me sad yet angry because it's dumb that they have to feel this way, but also I'm not sure where this stereotype came from. 

I think stereotyping isn't ultimately necessary to character design and representation because stereotyping is more of a joke about people of different cultures or ethnicities. I think they stem from a generalization of certain groups of people, but I think it's good to know about but not make all your judgement off of it. 

I personally don't think I have been affected very much by stereotypical representations because I am white living in a place around predominantly white people, but I am female so sometimes I have gotten rude comments about doing stereotypical female things. I think these jokes are honestly outdated and unfunny because the world is a lot different now and people should acknowledge it more so. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 10: Manga and Anime

Week 14: The Future of Comics

The Arrival