Week 12: Comics by Women

This week I got to look at and read a couple of different stories. Some of the stories were "Persepolis", "Fun Home", and "Ms. Marvel".

"Persepolis" was a story I had heard of a lot in the past but I never got a chance to really read it. The style is simple. with black and white panels and characters that are slightly different from each other. The story takes place after the Iranian Revolution in 1979 and it talks about Marjane's life during this time. I like that because her parents were more modern, Marjane struggles with wearing a veil or not. I like Marjane because she becomes more rebellious and speaks her mind as time goes on, and this story is interesting because of the history it shows.

"Fun Home" is a story I have somewhat read in the past and I don't know if I love this story, but I do like certain themes in it. I do like how it shows Alison Bechdel's journey of her life and how she figured out her sexuality and the secret her father kept hidden for most of her life. I like how the story unfolds and how it feels like we are going on this journey with Alison. The whole story being in a monochromatic blue color is really interesting because I felt like it gave off a sense of melancholy and calmness, which I think helps for how the story is trying to come across.

"Ms. Marvel" was interesting because it depicts a girl named Kamala Khan who is an American Muslim. I think it's cool because I feel like superhero comics don't usually have someone of this culture as the main character. The art style was really nice and I like how the proportions of the females isn't super exaggerated to where they look unnatural. I never have read about Ms. Marvel before, so I was surprised to learn this is the story of how her character came to be.

I really enjoy reading comics by women because as a woman myself, I feel like the characters are more accurate in how they look and think. There aren't super weird proportions making the girl look unrealistic, and the way they act is how most women actually act and not how they might be perceived.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 10: Manga and Anime

Week 14: The Future of Comics

The Arrival