Week 10: Manga and Anime

This was probably one of my favorite topics to learn about because I already read manga and watch anime in my spare time. I think it was really cool learning more on how these Japanese comics started, and how it displays a different kind of culture.

One of the manga I read was called "Dororo" and I found it to be really good. I originally clicked this link because Dororo has become an anime recently and I was able to watch the 1st episode, which I enjoyed a lot. So when reading the manga, they did a very good job so far in my opinion of getting the anime pretty close to the original manga. The style though of the manga and anime is very different but makes a lot of sense because of the time difference. I think "Dororo" the manga is very interesting with its style because to me it has more of a childish vibe to it, but has themes of death and killing people. It's kind of a weird mix in a way but I ended up really enjoying reading the first volume of it.

In class we watched "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" which is a movie I love so much and grew up watching. In general I grew up watching Studio Ghibli movies, and I really love the messages in them especially in Nausicaa. I like that it can relate to humans and nature at any point because it's a lesson in having balance. Humans can't always be more powerful or try to dominate the world, because as we see in the film it completely backfires. Something I noticed while watching this now that I'm older and from watching the film quite a few times, is in the scene where Nausicaa kills those guards who killed her dad she says something along the lines of "I never knew my rage could make me kill" which parallels how the Ohmu must feel. They are calm creatures who felt threatened and ended up hurting people because they were being hurt first. I want to watch the rest of the film again to try to catch more things that I missed as a kid and also watching it in Japanese to get the original feel of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 14: The Future of Comics

The Arrival