Week 11: Comics in Contemporary Literature

This week I was able to read "Asterios Polyp" which right off the bat is a weird name for a graphic novel and "Every Girl is the End of the World for Me"  which is another title that caught my attention because I wanted to understand what that meant.

"Asterios Polyp" was a title that I definitely wanted to read because the name sounded so weird to me. I was immediately intrigued the moment I started reading, one of the reasons being the sort of poetic style of writing. My favorite part was when it is explained how people get along and how the art style was different for how different people are. I like that some were similar to show how some people think the same and how it showed some worlds blending together. After learning the main characters name is Asterios Polyp, there seems to be a sort of underlying mystery in his life. When his home is burning up he says 'not again" which really made me want to figure out what that meant and what his life was. All in all, I really loved the art style from the use of complementary colors and the way characters were drawn, especially Asterios and Hana.

When reading "Every Girl is the End of the World for Me", the first thing that was interesting to me was how the author decided to show every girl at the beginning and explain who they were. I like it because then I can get a sense for all the characters before reading because there is so many different girls. The art style is so much more simple then "Asterios Polyp" and the text looks like it was handwritten, which I think compliments the style nicely. I didn't really love this story because it was a little boring to me, but I did like the style of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 10: Manga and Anime

Week 14: The Future of Comics

The Arrival