Week 13: Superheroes

For this week I read "Batman The Killing Joke",  some Black Panther, and "Saga". I have read "The Killing Joke" before and I got to read it again in class, so I really got to understand it more. I have also read a little of the first "Saga" before but never got to really read it fully, so I was glad when I saw it on the list. The only thing I have seen of Black Panther is the movie, so it was cool to read where it came from originally.

In class we watched some of the 60's Batman and I was super happy because I love Batman and this show is really funny to me. One of the best scenes to me is the part with where Batman is being attacked by a shark, and I'm glad I could watch it again today. This show is really funky because it takes Batman, which is a more so dark and mysterious character, and adds this whimsical and hilarious element to it. The catchphrases always make me laugh and although it's really different to what is normally seen of Batman, I still think the show does a good job of creating a fun character that you can learn about but also have a fun time watching. 

Reading "Saga", I really love it so far and I'm super excited to read more of it. I love the art style and the direction the story is going in. For me, it already grabbed my attention right at the beginning and I felt immediately sucked into the world of these characters. I can tell the story has so much to show and a lot of background information it will show as the story progresses. 

Black Panther was really cool and I really enjoyed the colors and lighting it displayed. It seems like this comic specifically is maybe newer because of how it looks and I'm not entirely sure how long Black Panther the character has been around. I think it's great though to have a diverse superhero and I think it shows a lot of progression, especially because of the popularity and praise the movie has received.

Questions (Batman: The Killing Joke)
1. What is your reaction to the text you just read?
-My reaction to reading this is still shocked at some points but because I have read it before and watched the animated version of it, I already knew what was going to happen. There are definitely a lot of parts that make me feel uncomfortable but I like it because it's told so well and the dark undertones really create something that is terrifying and in a way real.  
2. What connections did you make with the story? Discuss the elements of the story with which you were able to connect.
-Some connections I was able to make I guess was towards the ending when the Joker is telling Batman about the world and how Batman is kind of like the Joker himself. I think this part made me really think about life and how/ why people fight. It was hard to make a personal connection but this part and the part where the beginning repeats itself at the end really had me thinking. Because I think in life everyone wants to find a purpose for why they do things and what the goal is, but when we do we get bored because it feels like we won the game and now we need something else to play. When Batman tells the Joker that maybe it was just him and normal people don't feel that way, I feel like it relates a lot to how people go about their life everyday and never question a lot of things. 
3. What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you use? What changes would you make?
-I think I would want to make this into an animated movie but because there already is one, I guess there some parts I would change from that. I don't think I would change much of the comic because I feel like it does an amazing job at sharing this story. Maybe the only thing is I would give it a more clear ending because it's kind of left open, but in a way I like that you have to sort of guess what happened. Did Batman do what is right or did he go crazy in that moment? I want to believe he did the right thing because that's who he is, but whose to say? In the movie version though one of the biggest things I remember them changing is Barbara and Bruce were sort of together and I found that to be the dumbest thing ever. It kind of ruined the whole movie for me because it felt so unnecessary and weird because that was never something that happened. It made it feel like a weird joke which is ironic because of what the title is. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 10: Manga and Anime

Week 14: The Future of Comics

The Arrival