Week 9: A Wide World of Comics

Heavy Metal is definitely a topic of comics I have never dabbled in at all and I was a little hesitant to. I never really knew it existed but also it doesn't seem like something I would read purely based off the covers. But I did try giving "Ranxerox" a try.

Ranxerox to me, just from the first page alone, had an interesting feel to it and the art style was definitely different.  It has this weird way of shading that I'm not really sure how to explain except that it kind of makes me think of airbrushing in a way. But like a mucky kind of airbrushing. There was more explicit scenes and cursing but I think it worked well with the style of it overall. I liked the grimy feel to it and I thought parts of it were interesting, but I don't know if I would read more.

Another comic I read was by Moebius called "The Black Incal" volume 1. Off the bat the art style was completely opposite to Ranxerox. This comic by Moebius specifically was a lot brighter. It also had some hatching in it which I thought was a nice touch. I like the action scenes of it a lot because it reminded of an old cartoon. There were some explicit scenes though, but they didn't really bother me at all. Well ok maybe the wolf man and the lady having sex was a little weird but eh I can look past it. But overall I liked the story so far and I might read more in the future.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 10: Manga and Anime

Week 14: The Future of Comics

The Arrival